Five Steps To Collecting Autographs
- Get an address for the celebrity or person whose autograph you want.
- Entertainment personalities almost always have a website or a fan club website that can give you the correct mailing address.
- Authors also often have websites, and may have specific instructions on how to send books for signing.
- Sport stars addresses may be obtained from their team office.
- Political figures may have mail addressed to their office. That information is available on their government website. If the person is a candidate and not currently in office, send the mail to their campaign headquarters.
- Requests to persons prominent in business, industry, or organisations may be contacted via the company or organization headquarters.
- Write a cover letter.
- Politely ask the person to sign the item you are sending.
- Compliment the person on some accomplishment or on a particular aspect of his or her work that you enjoy or appreciate.
- Note that you are enclosing return mailer and postage and ask the person to return your signed item in the box or photo mailer you have enclosed.
- Some celebrities charge for signing items, so please make sure you inquiry beforehand, and if a fee is charged include it with your request. Requests submitted without the fee will be returned unsigned.
- It is quite easy to get an autograph of a political figure by writing and commenting on issues or policies important to him or her.
- Assemble the necessary mailing materials.
- For a book, use a new corrugated box book mailer. For a flat item, such as a photo or magazine cover, use a rigid photo mailer. If it is necessary to keep a book from sliding around in the box use bubble wrap or other cushioning.
- Obtain a bubble mailer or padded envelope large enough for the box or photo mailer to fit into.
- Place the book or picture into the box or photo mailer, however, DO NOT seal it. This is the package in which the celebrity will mail your item back.
- Put your return address on the box or photo mailer.
- Take the box or mailer with the item in it to a post office and have the correct postage put on it to send it from the celebrity back to you. - You may want to have it sent as priority mail and insured.
- Place the unsealed box or photo mailer, with the item in it, inside the bubble-mailing envelope. Insert your cover letter in the bubble envelope, but outside of the box or photo mailer.
- Address the bubble envelope to the celebrity and mail. Consider sending it priority mail and insured.